C H A P T E R 39 • 5 2 4 7 W I L S O N M I L L S R O A D # 4 5 4 • C L E V E L A N D O H I O 4 4 1 4 3
Simulated Killing at the Air Show
This year, the Cleveland National Air Show is hosting a new exhibit called the “Virtual Army Experience” (VAE) that we think is inappropriate and unacceptable. Participants in this virtual urban warfare game hop into full-size Humvee simulators and fire machine guns at life-size people projected onto giant, wraparound screens.
Consider the following:
• The Cleveland Air show is promoted as a wholesome family activity.
• Technology that simulates killing human beings has no place at an event that purports
to be a celebration of aviation.
• The VAE misleads people about soldiering. It portrays a sanitized picture of war that
disrespects what real soldiers experience in combat and trivializes the burden they carry
the rest of their lives. War is not a game.
• The Army may call it “virtual,” but it inflicts real pain on those who have experienced
the physical and psychological trauma of combat, have lost loved ones in war, or have
lived with those who carry the scars of war.
• The VAE desensitizes young people to killing in our region, which has experienced
far too much urban violence.
• Labor Day celebrates working men and women. The Cleveland Air Show’s stated pur-
pose is to assist young people who seek careers in aviation.
• Tax dollars are being used to pay for the VAE.
Veterans For Peace opposes the inclusion of the VAE in this year’s Air Show. We respectfully
ask the Army, the organizers, and the sponsors to remove the VAE as an activity. We ask that
other peace activist groups, government officials, churches, mental health and educational
professionals, and most importantly, PARENTS, join us in voicing their opposition.
Turn over to see how you can help!
What you can do:
• Share this information with everyone you know including friends and family, churches, health and educational professionals, community associations, etc.
• Contact elected officials:
– Mayor: Hon. Frank Jackson (216.664.3990), or your own mayor
– City Council: Individual Councilperson or Clerk (216.664.2840), or your own council members
– Cuyahoga County Board of Commissioners: Individual Commissioner or Administrator: 216.443.7215
• Contact local sponsors:
– Cleveland Air Show: Kim Dell; firstname.lastname@example.org; 216.781.0747
– Discount Drug Mart: Anita Fontana; email@example.com; 330. 725.2340 Ext 4478
– Cleveland Coca-Cola Bottling Company: Randy Cornette; 216.690.2653
– Metro Life Flight: Dr. Craig Bates; firstname.lastname@example.org; 216.778.2100
– Parker Hannifin: James Cartwright; 216.896.3000
– Cleveland Magazine: Lisa Sands; 216.771.2833
– The Wave (107.3): Lonnie Gronek; 440.236.9283
– WKYC-TV3: Micki Byrnes; 216.344.3333
– WDOK (102.1): Joe Restifo; 216.696.0123
• Contribute to a signature ad in the Plain Dealer. If the VAE is cancelled, the ad will thank the sponsors for taking action. see tear-off below
City of Cleveland and Air Show Sponsors
We, the undersigned, oppose the inclusion of the Virtual Army Experience in the
2008 Cleveland Air Show. Simulated killing is not entertainment.
Please tear off and mail checks payable to: Veterans For Peace, Chapter 39; 5247 Wilson Mills Road, #454; Cleveland, Ohio 44143
Name Phone Number
Email Amount enclosed
How you want your name listed in ad:
Veterans For Peace is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational and humanitarian organization dedicated to the abolishment of war.